Although the council still sets the rules and guidelines for building works, it is now the role of Private Licenced Certifiers to assess and approve building works.

Some aspects are still required to go through various different departments at the council.

Navigating through this maze of approvals and documents can be a daunting task.

Luckily we are here to help !


Although all building works should have approvals and final inspection certificates, unfortunately this is not always the case. We have seen cases where approvals have lapsed before the final certificate could be issued, or even cases where approvals were never obtained in the first place.

Not only do you risk potential fines just by having unapproved structures, this can cause significant issues when it comes time to sell. With constantly changing building codes and subcontractors coming and going, the longer the period of time between when something is built and when you try and get it certified, the more difficult (and expensive) it becomes.

As such, if you have or about to purchase a property with structures which may not be fully approved and certified, please contact us for a site assessment so we can advise you on how to get everything back on the official track.


Before commencing construction of most types of residential and commercial building works, a building approval (also known as a building permit) is required. This can include extensions, decks, carports and sheds.

Although there are cases where a building approval is not required, it is important to discuss this with a qualified professional (not just the carpenter or handyman doing the work), as the fines for non-compliance can be significant. Also, the cost of getting building works certified after the fact will often cost more than getting it done properly in the begining.

So before you engage someone to do some building works, contact us for a site assessment and we can advise you of the costs for getting it done properly with relevant approvals, or how you can go about doing it so it will be exempt.

Town Planning (DA)

Where do you start if you want to build a dual living home, or start out as a developer for a pair of duplexes or maybe a small townhouse block?

There is an endless list of documents to prepare, all from different people who are each trained in one aspect and requires overall coordination to make things really happen. Don't waste time running all around town, getting bits and pieces of advise, instead let us coordinate things, and avoid unnecessary delays or even missed critical deadlines.

Copyright © 2023 Qld Retrospective Building Services